These individual classes or groups are typically for puppies, 8 to 16 weeks old however, based on certain circumstances, special accommodations can be made for older puppies.
The primary goal is to get to know your puppy and build a relationship with him/her, as this is the foundation for all the training going forward. Building relationship based on mutual trust and respect.
- Every dog has something to teach us and we have something to teach the dog.
- Secondly, learning to introduce puppy to novel objects and people safely.
- Thirdly, understanding your dog’s communications and motivations to teach impulse control and understanding emotional responses to distractions.
- Fourthly, loose leash walking and relaxation protocol when finished.
This consists of four sessions once a week.
- Building relationship and building confidence using fun games.
- Using the nose to explore their surroundings and environment on a long lead.
- Understanding and using the marker word-YES.
- Purpose and technique of body handling.
- Relaxation protocol
- Impulse control
- Fundamental sit
- Shaping vs luring to the desired behavior
- Loose leash walking
- Introducing puppy to novel objects
- How to handle uncertainty and apprehension.
- Understanding distance, distraction and duration and how to use it appropriately.
- Putting it all together in various low distraction areas.
- Understanding puppies distance to distraction and how this affects his emotional threshold.
- Introduction of various and numerous distractions as it relates to every day life in your home.
- Introduction to socialization with other dogs and I don’t mean DOG PARKS!